Wednesday, May 9, 2012

One of the Reasons Mama Smiled

Mothers!!!

The most complex human being on earth.
Full of hopes, full of dreams, full of love, full of life.
We love them, we hate them, we miss them, we run from them, we delight in them, we grieve over them, we become them.

Some know how to be them.  Some never get a clue!!
Some have their roles so organized that they should be sent to Washington to fix it.
Some can't seem to ever figure out how to be all that is needed.

Some mistreat their children so badly that they scar them for life.
Some overindulge their children and cripple them for life.
Some think they really have their children under control, and face unknown surprises!

Some are strong, some are weak, some are kind, some are hard, some are faithful, some are not.
Some are faced with unbelievable challenges and rise to meet them.
Some have challenges that overcome them.

All are human.  All are unique.  All are fallible.  All do their best.  All need love.

I look at the above picture of my own mother, and I love the look on her face as she is looking at me.
She left her life-mark on me and in me.  Oh, I could regale at all the ways she failed me, but I'm a mother, and I've failed. 

Instead, I cherish that mother heart of hers that loved every hair on her children's heads.  She did not love perfectly.  What mother does?  She just loved in her way.  She did not like cooking, she told me once, but how we all try to mimic those recipes in our lives.

She worked three jobs a week for years to feed us.  She was in a generation that had very little help for the single, abandoned woman/mother/wife.  She made mistakes that brought harsh criticism upon herself.  She spent the last few years of her life daily repenting, and believing God she was forgiven.

She was lovely, fun, tender, wounded, strong, weak, devoted, playful, sad, lonely, and brave. 

Oh, how I miss her, my mother, Miss Nell, Mama, MawMaw, and I am just thankful to have been a part of her life, her heart, and one of the reasons she smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment