Thursday, January 12, 2012

Go Get the Sheriff!!!


"For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal (not of fleshly order or origin), but they are mighty THROUGH God to the pulling down of every stronghold!"

Before going to sleep last night, I read a chapter in E.W. Kenyon's book..."The Name of Jesus".  I try to read something about my God before going to sleep because I know satan's weapons of warfare.  It is the thought life.
     He lies.  This is the plain truth.  He has always been a liar.  He twists and schemes and perverts and torments.  I once heard Brother Dave Roberson's comparison of satan and he said..."he will not come with horns on his head, blood dripping from his fangs or with a pitchfork!!!"
      No, this fallen angel cannot be everywhere at once.  He is NOT omnipresent.  He comes in the form of a thought, a suggestion, a sly twist on the character of God, subtly working on the will of humans to try to penetrate that moment of decision.   Ephesians, chapter six, speaks of the levels of demonic authority that does satan's will.    Jessie Penn Lewis wrote a book called "War on the Saints" which I believe every Christian should read.
     Let me add here that Jesus HAS defeated this primal enemy for us.  It is like the Old West that was overrun with villains until the Sheriff showed up.  Now, once he showed up, he had to "round up" the outlaws, jail them, and then establish laws for further crime control.  He had to hire deputies to help him enforce that law.
     Jesus is the Sheriff!  He showed up on this earth, rounded up satan, took back the keys of hell and death, and then turned the keys over to His posse, His deputies.....THE BELIEVER!!!  My husband, Herb, once named a praise group we had at church, Heaven's Posse.  We loved it and the music that came from that group.  But satan got in, and destroyed that precious group of growing worshipers.   Through lies, carnal suggestions, etc, the lower level devils (Brother Dave's phrase), weaved their evil amongst that group and slowly erroded what God was trying to establish.
     This is how satan works.  He seeks to plant a thought in your mind.  How do I know it is a thought from satan?  Well...does it create fear or faith, worry or joy, peace or torment, confidence or intimidation, agitation or rest, anger or forgiveness? 
    English Standard Version (©2001)
We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ.
     Jeremiah 29:11(King James Version)
11For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
      This is why it is important for you and I to "know" God's Word, and what He thinks.  If I know YOU, and someone comes to me to destroy you to me, then I will be able to stand up and defend you.  A relationship based on trust is what God is trying to establish with you and I.  He speaks through His Word..."Hebrews 4:12–13
For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.  (emphasis mine)
     When we fill our minds with His Word, then the Sheriff shows up...Jesus!  He, the Living Word, rises to refute all other thoughts that try to sneak their way into our minds.  He will, through the indwelling Presence of the Holy Spirit, the Teacher, send the help you need to cast down the lies and fiery darts of that villain, satan!!!  Oh, yes, it takes some work to lasso that thought that is trying to establish fear, worry, anger, hatred, resentment, jealousy, unforgiveness, apathy, depression...(shall I go on???), and bring it to the Sheriff, but Believer, you and I can do this!!!
     Examine your thoughts today!  Now, don't dwell on them to the point that you are obssessing over even thinking.  But...if you know a Promise of God, i.e....."The Lord is my  Shepherd, I SHALL NOT LACK...", etc, then practice holding that thought in your mind.  It takes P R A C T I C E!!!  When you are facing a problem, don't mull the problem over and over in your head.  See yourself grabbing that problem, like you would a two year old throwing a tantrum. 
    Now...see yourself dragging that worrisome child to an authority figure!  See that thought being brought to Psalms 23.  Make that thought "bow" its knees to the Truth.  Refuse to let that thought rise up and rule like a disobedient child tries to do.  Even say..."I WILL NOT ALLOW THIS DISOBEDIENT THOUGHT TO RULE!"
     Confess instead...."Psalms 23...I give You rule over my thoughts today!  You are my Shepherd, and whatever I need....You will supply for me.  I refuse the emotions of worry and fear and wondering.  I establish my feet upon The Word, and upon that Rock I will fight to stay!!"  You know what??? Peace will come.  Yep....the Sheriff will show up....the Prince of Peace with a 344 magnum to blow demonic lies right out of the town....your head!!
    So, strap on the Weapons of your warfare which are mighty and chase a few varmints out of Dodge City.....(sorry, my imagination kicks in and I see Gunsmoke and Marshal Dillon), and patrol your mind today.  Keep it safe from harm through God's Word!!!
     Now....where's that varmint hiding????

No comments:

Post a Comment