Monday, January 2, 2012

The Celebration of Communion

Several years ago, I studied the command of Jesus to His Disciples before His betrayal, judgement, execution, and death.  I wanted to understand the meaning of communion.  Growing up in a particular religion as a child, I was made to feel that this religious exercise was to remind me that I was a sinner, and it was a time for me to repent and receive forgiveness.  I always felt so guilty at church.
     As I studied this for myself, though, I began to realize what Jesus was truly trying to teach His disciples.  Over the next few days, I want to share what has become an experience of joy for me, personally.  I have discovered not only what the elements stand for, but the eternal blessings both now and forever that Jesus provided through the sharing of the "Cup of Blessing".
     Our church is going to start celebrating communion every Sunday for the 2012 year.  I am believing that people will come to experience freedom in many realms of their lives as they learn what Jesus did for His people.
     The word "communion" means...."a having in common (koinos), partnership, fellowship".  It means (a) the share which one has in anything, a participation, fellowship recognized and enjoyed; thus it is used of the common experiences and interests of Christians.
     Isn't it wonderful to know that Jesus wanted to "share" all He had with us?  He wanted the world to have something they could enjoy?  That something was His Father, His Life, His Spirit, His Word, His Person, and all that came from the knowledge of the Truth?  Glory to God!!!
     The most precious scene when Jesus shared the bread and the cup with His disciples was that He "served" them first.  Blessed Lamb of God!!  He taught what He lived, and He demonstrated what was His true life.  He even stated that He came not to be served, but to serve.  What an attitude!!!  In this self-serving, selfish life that is manifested all around us.... we need to study The Servant.
   He first wrapped the servant's towel around His waist and began to wash their feet.  This is the part of communion where we all have to begin.  We need to let Jesus "wash" us.  It is not a finger-pointing in the face kind of wash, condemning us for our sins.  Jesus does not condemn....EVER!!!  It is a yielding of the heart by acknowledging what is not pleasing to Him, and receiving the Word of Grace that sets us back on a right path.  I've never felt condemned in the shower....have you?
     Just this morning I thought to myself how wonderful it would be to just stay under the warmth and relaxation of that nice hot shower!  I felt revived!!!  This is what Jesus comes to do.  He comes as we open our hearts to Him, first to cleanse us and then to revive us!!  Bless His Holy Name!!!
     So, as we continue looking at communion this week, I ask you.  When was the last time you "took the bread and drank the cup" of blessing according to Scripture?   If it has been a long time, maybe it is because satan has wormed his way into your thoughts with words of condemnation.  He is a worm!  Put him on a hook and feed him to the fish!!!
     Stay with me as we sit at the feet of our Master this week!  You will receive truth that will bring joy to your heart! 

No comments:

Post a Comment