Monday, November 21, 2011

Sweet, Tasty and Tart - Cranberry/Pumpkin Bread

Thanksgiving is just the most wonderful time of year for me.  It conjures up all the smells and memories of my mother and the gathering of family in Forney, Texas where I grew up.  My Aunt Mildred hosted the family gathering for years at her home, and the place just burst with people, food, and of course, Dallas Cowboys!!!  I know that I can never replicate those days, but I am thankful for the root of family it planted in me.  This recipe is a sweet mistake and I will tell you why.  It calls for pumpkin pie spice which I did not have.  So, I took the spices off the can of Libby's Pumpkin, 29 oz. can, but I mistakenly only had to  use half of the pumpkin for the recipe.  So, the spices were for a double recipe.  The flavor with the fresh cranberries is so tart and tasty. 

3 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
(for the spices)...use the ratio off the 29oz can of Libby's pumpkin OR
4 Tsp. of pumpkin pie spice
2 Tsp of Baking Soda
1 Tsp. Salt
4 Eggs
1 Can (15oz) Libby's pumpkin solid pack
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
2 cups of fresh cranberries
1 cup of chopped walnuts.

Blend the dry ingredients seperately from the wet ingredients.
Then blend both until moistened.
Add cranberries and nuts.'
Pour into two greased  9in x 5 in x 3 in loaf pans
Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

**Just a note....I used the small loaf pans as I was giving these out for gifts.  They only took about 30 to 35 minutes to bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment